Durban is a truly beautiful city, located right at the beach of the warm Indian Ocean and with its great subtropical climate it is a true pleasure to be around. The city is home to the busiest port in South Africa, and the Gateway shopping center is the largest shopping mall in Africa. To give you a start on what to do and where to go when in Durban this is a small list of to-do’s, since there is so much going on is the city not everything could be mentioned, but this is a beginning.
- Golden Mile. The Golden Mile is a stretch of 6km long sandy beach located at the warm Indian Ocean which makes swimming and surfing ideal. You can walk along the promenade and enjoy various shops and cafés, and of course the gorgeous view of the ocean.
- Valley of 1000 Hills. If you want to enjoy pure beauty and tranquility you should visit the Valley of 1000 Hills. The amazing taking view, nice pubs, tea gardens, cultural villages and cosy B&B’s provides you with enough choice for everybody.
- Botanic Gardens. The Botanical Gardens of Durban, founded in 1849, has an excellent subtropical botanic collection where you can enjoy all the beauty nature has to offer. Furthermore then is an orchid house and a fragrance garden for the blind.
- uShaka Marine World. Visit the largest marine theme park in Africa, and see what the fascinating underwater world has to offer. You can visit the salt water aquarium, the dolphin stadium where you can enjoy an entertaining show, and even go scuba diving. Then there is also Wet ‘n Wild World, a fun water park for the whole family. The water park offer swimming pools, river rides, high speed chutes and a place to relax and sunbathe on the sandy beaches.
- The Hare Krishna Temple of Understanding. The temple was built in the 1980’s in the shape of a lotus plant and is believed to be the biggest Hare Krishna temple in Africa. Go on one of the guided tours, and do not forget to visit the fantastic vegetarian restaurant.
- Dolphin and Whale watching. Go on a marine safari, enjoy the sun, the ocean and amaze yourself with the spectacular view of dolphins and whales in the ocean.
- Gateway theatre of shopping. When visiting the Gateway shopping center you should not be in a rush because with more than 280 stores you can stay there all day. The center is home to more than 50 restaurants, 18 cinemas, the world’s highest freestanding indoor climbing wall (22.5m), the Wave House, a skate park designed by Tony Hawk and much more.
- Helicopter ride. To get the absolute most amazing view of your holiday destination, you should go on a helicopter ride. It most certainly will provide you with an unforgettable experience.